[AT] synthetic oil - gas versus diesel trucks

Thomas O Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 18:04:22 PST 2016

I have a 2001 F250 super duty with the 6.8L V10.

It has 260,000 to 280,000 miles on it.  I have had one blown spark
plug.  Screwed it back in drove it home and repaired the head with a
timeserver insert.  Cost $300 for tooling. AC clutch $40 Replace the
fuel pump about $100.  Changed oil, plugs three times, brakes once.
Need brakes  again.  I pulled my tractor and 30ft bumper pull trailer to
Colorado over red mountain pass, Wolf creek pass and many others three
or four times.

The V10 gets 10 mpg average on trips pulling the trailer. 13 mpg back
and forth to work and 10 mpg in town.
  The only time I wished I had a Diesel is when I am over 10,000 ft
altitude.   I have pulled my RV over passes 12,000 ft high.  Slow but no
problems.

I did all repairs and maintenance my self.   I could not of done that
with a Diesel.   The acquisition cost was $18,000 used in 2004.  The
cost of a Diesel was over $30,000 to $40,000 for the same age vehicle.

Even with better fuel economy I do not think I could have done better
with a Diesel considering  repairs and maintenance of a Diesel.

If I spent a lot of time in the mountains or hauled heaver loads then A
diesel would make sense.  Most of the time I am in the flat lands
running empty so the Gas works for me.

New truck? I would have to research it.  Modern  Gas and the Diesel
engines are much more complicated and difficult to work on. Very
expensive to repair.

I am not worried about resale value.  I am running this truck until it
quits.  It that time it will owe me nothing.

Besides the V10 is much more fun to drive than a Diesel.