[AT] Manual battery chargers for very dead batteries.

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Nov 16 17:30:33 PST 2016

First off, I want to say I was running this experiment because I  heard from a friend that graphite makes a great anode for an electrolysis bath. Supposedly leaves the bath very clean without any of the scum and other nasty stuff we are typically used to seeing in the bath. I wanted to let you all know that the success described below indicates this does work and graphite is a great anode.   I suspect my cultivator shoe will be de-rusted soon.

Anyways I ran the experiment Charlie suggested to confirm that putting a battery in parallel would trigger the charger and get it to work in the electrolysis bath. That worked nicely.  I didn't think I wanted to leave the battery on it unsupervised (and it was getting late) so I shut down the experiment.  As soon as I disconnected the battery it eventually "figured "it out and slowly shut off.   It did take 2-3 minutes for the bubbling to stop though.

Someone else I know  suggested putting it in series but that does not work.

Someone else suggested simply putting a load on it, such as a 12V lamp would get this to work.  I have not tried that.  If it will  that would be the safest alternative.

This all seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt so I may go with an old used unit or a simple dedicated DC power supply like some of the others had suggested.

Thanks for all the help!

Spencer Yost