[AT] synthetic oil

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 02:43:11 PST 2016

I just bought a new truck a few months ago, and I will admit that VW
"Dieselgate" colored my opinion. Some pundit somewhere on the Internet made
a quip about VW that stuck with me:  "It's basically a science fair
experiment from the turbocharger back"

Then, there's the cost.  After sales negotiations and incentives and
rebates etc etc you are looking at about $7000 upcharge for a diesel.  I
like shopping Certified Pre-Owned but it's still somewhere around
$5000-7000 upcharge for the diesel (harder to compare apples-to-apples with
used vehicles) and then all I could find CPO were XLT and Lariat trim
levels, and practically everything is extended cab, short bed.

I ended up with a new 2016 F250 short cab long bed, gas engine.  The Ford
6.2 liter makes 385HP and 440 ft-lb and in mixed driving (loaded, unloaded,
country roads, some city, some highway) it gives 14mpg.  It certainly
drives like the proverbial "Cadillac" in all respects compared to the
outgoing 1997 F-250 with its 205HP 5.8 liter.

I could have done an F150 except I would have wanted the heavy-duty GVWR
package, and again, short cab long bed.  GOOD LUCK finding that truck in an
F150!  Also nudged to the 250 by the idea that I will probably, within the
foreseeable future (5-10 years) park the tractor in winter and put a real
plow on the truck.

SO