[AT] Synthetic Oil

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Nov 14 16:10:57 PST 2016

The turbo vw uses on their small diesels has very little mass. It spins
down fairly quick, in general it doesn't do much in the parking lot and
so it mostly stopped and doesn't need oil on shutdown. Now if you pull
off the hiway and turn the engine off as soon as you come to a stop (or
before) there is a problem, but most people don't drive that way. Big
engines with big turbos often need more spin down time, as do people who
upgrade their turbo. From the factory people report few problems with
their turbo that can be traced to shutdown.

Not that there is never a problem, turbos spin at 100000 rpm at high
temperatures. This is hard on any oil.

--
  Henry Miller
  hank at millerfarm.com