[AT] Synthetic Oil

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Nov 13 18:17:45 PST 2016

The only bad thing about my VW diesel(beside dieselgate) , is that it requires a synthetic oil that's pretty expensive.   And it called for oil change intervals of 10,000 miles.  I've never been a fan of oil change intervals that are that extended and I am certainly not a fan of expensive synthetic oil.  But because of that expense I decided to use Blackstone lab's oil analysis reports to ensure that these extended intervals actually were valid.

After the free oil changes up to 36K miles, I changed  the oil at 10,000 miles and sent a sample. Oil was absolutely great and still within spec. Next oil change I want to 11K and still within spec.  And so on our way up to 13,000 miles.  Oil was still completely 100% within spec and no metals that would indicate excessive wear.  I stopped there but I could probably could change at 15K.

So I do believe in those 10,000 mile intervals with synthetic oil for that engine.  I'll be glad to post the reports if anyone's interested.

However....

I did it for my Ford power stroke 6.0 L engine too.  The shear properties of synthetic oil begin to degrade at 10k miles. So I use regular Dino  oil and change every 3000 miles on that one.

Hope this helps,

Spencer Yost

Spencer Yost