[AT] Synthetic Oil

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Nov 12 18:55:27 PST 2016

I changed a couple of my tractors to 5w-30 2 years ago when we needed
them for feeding in cold weather.  I forgot to change the oil back to
15w-40 in the summer and did not seem to have any problems and no oil
consumption, so I still have 5w-30 in them.  I also changed my honda
powered compressor to the 5w-30 so I could crank it in the winter.

I used to use Mystic oil exclusively either 30w or 15w-50. During a hot
spell when cutting hay with the disc mower, I had 5w-30 in the old
Belarus 825 and 15W50 in the 8345.  Both tractors are the same except
for sheet metal and 7 years difference.  The oil pressure stayed up as
the heat gauge went to 220 on the old tractor with 5w-30, and the newer
tractor lost pressure at 210 deg with the 15W-50.  I should note  that
the 5w-30 was a local farm store brand, and the 15w-50 was Mystic.   I
have since switched to the local brand and have had no problems, and
have saved enough that I can change oil very frequently.

I have thought about oil analysis, but never got further than taking the
sample.

Cecil in OKla