[AT] OT LED question

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Nov 7 18:37:42 PST 2016

Stephen Offiler wrote:
> Cecil, there's a really interesting little detail buried in your comment.
> In short, beware of any LED bulb if you find one claiming to retrofit into
> old automotive reflectors designed for incandescent.
>
> I've done some reflector design, and it all begins at the light source (the
> filament with incan, or the emitter surface with LED) and from there it's
> just geometry, bouncing photons, like you're playing billiards.  A TINY
> change in the light source and you miss the shot, so to speak.  LED emitter
> surfaces look absolutely nothing at all like a filament.
>
> SO
>

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Cecil Bearden <crbearden at copper.net> wrote:
>
>> I wish there were a replacement LED bulb that would look original for my
>> old 37 Plymouth.  I polished the reflector and had new old stock bulbs,
>> but the last time we were in it after dark, I remember holding my
>> halogen flashlight out the window so I could see more in the distance.
>> That was before the new LEDs, I have not had it out in a while.   We
>> intend to enjoy it more this year while it is cool here in OK....
>>
>> Cecil in OKla

That is one of the things I hate with some of the you tube crowd showing
a "drop in replacement" light source for a vehicle, be it an LED or HID
lamp. They then brag about "oh it's so much brighter". My take is that
unless that reflector or projector lens was designed with the correct
light source you get a LOT of nasty effects from them. Like having so
much scatter that you blind oncoming drivers, or because the beam has
been focused wrong you effectively lose any high beam advantage.

--
Steve W.