[AT] OT LED question

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Nov 7 18:29:14 PST 2016

Dan Glass wrote:
> I was driving through town today and noticed that some of the traffic
> lights that have been switched to LED's were about 1/3 to 1/2 burned
> out.   I don't know what they switched from but I never remember seeing
> one of them burned out.  They had about 50 or so LED in each red or
> green light and of those 50 about 20 or 30 random LED were out.

That is because of the way LEDs are connected internally. They create a
pattern to connect the LEDs in series and parallel. Then they spread out
the groups so that the sections that fail are not grouped together. That
is how you get the "random" failure pattern. Instead of one corner of
the lamp failing and possibly appearing as an arrow or other symbol they
make it random so that people who are color blind cannot misinterpret
the image.

I have actually seen very few LEDs made in the past few years actually
fail. Most of the time it's in the driver circuits or a lack of enough
heat sink to pull the heat from the actual LED chip that kills them.

--
Steve W.