[AT] OT LED question

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 03:53:02 PST 2016

Charlie, I do not believe I expressed or implied ANY doubt about your
convenience-store 100W bulbs.  What I posted was the details of the Act of
Congress that created this situation, not exclusively directed at you, but
also for the others on the list who might be interested in what happened to
the incandescent bulb.  I also mentioned one way (did not say it was the
ONLY way) an EISA compliant 100W incandescent can be built (halogen).

Draw your own conclusions, everyone.  Are old-school incandescent bulbs
actually still legal?  Well, if labeled "Rough Service" the answer is yes.
  Is Charlie's convenience store selling legal bulbs?  Are there other ways
to make a legal 100W bulb?  That question is interesting and I've commented
a bit on that too.  The Act requires increased efficiency, which in
lighting engineering is called efficacy.  It is lumens (light quantity)
divided by the electricity in watts needed to create that light.

An incandescent bulb can be designed with a heavy filament that runs cooler
and resists burning out, but the efficacy suffers.  These are the outlawed
bulbs.  Or they can be designed with a light filament that runs hot and
puts out more light per watt.  In theory, such a bulb can be made to comply
with EISA.  The problem is that light, hot-running filament will burn out
very rapidly.  It is at least possible that the convenience-store bulbs are
of this nature.

Halogens are interesting because they a light, hot filament that resists
burnout because the halogen gases (such as Argon, Krypton, etc) actually
hold the tungsten molecules and allow them to re-plate back onto the
filament, basically recycling them, instead of letting the filament erode.
That is the basic magic of halogen bulbs.

SO