[AT] Rant and stuff

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed May 18 19:17:40 PDT 2016

Unfortunately we are in a "disposable" world. Hate it when you ask about
parts availability and are told no, only tospend a few minutes searching
the net to find what you need. In a way I understand it, The dealership
you talked to would lose money if he had to special order you an $11
part. The 3-4 bucks he would make on the part would evaporate in pushing
the paperwork associated with the order. The place you did order it from
has enough volume and is pretty streamlined so that they can sell a
cheap item and still make some money, providing it is in inventory. I've
got a friend that runs a used lawn mower parts business on ebay. He
knows how long it takes to create a listing, process payment, and
package the item--thats how he knows how inexpensive of an item is worth
selling. A lot of things just aren't worth the effort.

Regarding the combines, probably a good decision to let them go. When
you have a 40 year old combine, the only way to make it reliable is to
go through it from end to end. I did that with a 3300 Deere. I still
have a few things I would like/need to do.

John Hall