[AT] OT new holland rake teeth

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Sun May 22 11:24:24 PDT 2016

Myself, I prefer the old coil spring teeth. The rubber mount teeth seem
to break the rubber far too soon. Years ago a neighbor bought a new John
Deere rake when rubber teeth first came out. After a year so many of
them had broken he replaced them with all steel teeth. I don't rake hay
any more but do have two bean windrowers  for my black beans; a two row
and a four row. Each has two rows of teeth. The first row picks up the
beans and lifts them into the second row which helps take out the dirt
and dumps onto a belt conveyor which puts them into a windrow.  The two
row has rubber teeth on front and the second drum has coil spring teeth.
I have replaced many rubber teeth but have never had a coil tooth break.
The four row has all rubber teeth and once the conveyor stopped and the
beans bunched up and by the time I saw it half the teeth were broke.
When I was growing up we had a IH side rake on steel. It had double
teeth much like the pickup teeth on a baler. In some ways they were
smarter than we are now. That rake (I still have it sitting out back)
had a safety wire that bolted on the tooth holder and went through the
tooth coil. If a tooth broke the wire kept the tooth from getting in the
hay and you would hear it banging around and remove the broken tooth. In
the 20 years we used that rake I only remember replacing 6 or 7 teeth
but none were lost. Another memory I have is grease. We raked hundred of
acres in the life of that rake, before anyone heard of sealed bearings,
and my uncles had three rakes in the same time period. Enter grease; my
dad's rule was that in a 20 acre field, all the rotating bars were
greased every 4 rounds and the whole rake bars and axles,etc. were
greased every 8 rounds. Looking back it seems like overkill but the rake
sure lasted a long time.
     Greg Hass