[AT] General ramblings. Off topic at least a bit.

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sat May 21 15:04:00 PDT 2016

I am not sure if my dad liked old tractors. Dad died very young from cancer and I've lived much longer without him then I did with him.  So some things about him I cannot remember.  I do know he never owned one and never needed one. His family were city folks (my experience in the country and farming comes from my mother's side of the family and teenage work on farms, sawmills and the forest service).  He enjoyed electronics and had me soldering things by the time I was nine.  He had me as an acceptable marksman with a 22 by age 8 and loved to be outdoors hunting and fishing.

I know he did like most types of old equipment and he did like working on them.   His last project was a commercial coffee grinder from the 1920s. It's electric with a double mill. He got too sick to finish it but I still have it. One day when the timing is right I will finish it for him.

I ran across this old photo. It's my dad in the Navy manning the radio station. Whenever his aircraft carrier pulled into port, they would fire up an a.m. station and play American music. He said most of the port really appreciated it and liked the extra temporary radio station with American music.  His enjoyment of electronics is part of the reason why he volunteered for that work instead of running around town enjoying the nightlife.

I can't get on the tractor without thinking of him though.

Just thought I'd share this.

Spencer Yost