[AT] Need help with newer compact tractor

Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
Fri May 20 11:11:10 PDT 2016

So about a year ago I bought a Mahindra 4035 40 HP diesel tractor. I
starts, runs and works fine, but I've had some problems with leaks
lately. At the 100 hour mark Mahindra wanted me to change the hydraulic
filter, which sits on the side of the rear housing. I talked to the
service guy at the dealership and he said I'd lose about 2 gallons of
fluid when I did that, even with the one rear tire up on a block. It
holds 10 gallons overall, and TSC had their premium universal
hydraulic/transmission fluid on sale (which states it meets or exceed
Mahindra specs)  for $35 for 5 gallons. For me it seemed like a no
brainer to just dump the fluid and replace it rather that trying to
guess how much I'd lose.

Everything went fine, I had to remove a side cover as well as the filter
to get to a screen they wanted to have cleaned on the first service
only. After that the tractor performed as it should but after about 50
hours I've started to develop leaks in the hydraulic system. They fixed
one by a large square diverter valve under the tractor and today they
are fixing another leak from the power steering block up by the steering
wheel.  I called today and talked to the service guy and he says they
are puzzled because the leaking o-rings they are looking at today appear
burned, as if exposed to excessive heat. Another concern that I brought
up to them is that the loader doesn't seem to have quite the lifting
capacity as when it was new.

My question is, can fluid cause these type of problems? In the manual
they call our for Mahindra fluid, Gulf Universal Tractor Transmission
fluid, Mobil 424, Shell Donax and a few others, all of which are nearly
impossible to find.  Can a fluid be SO wrong that it would cause
problems? Right now they are looking at anything that might be causing a
continual "deadheading" situation, but with that little 3 cylinder
diesel I think I would notice that.

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike M

---