[AT] Cub problem

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri May 13 04:38:19 PDT 2016

If you ran the cheap unleaded gas in it, then I would bet there are some
white flakes of dried surfactant in the carburetor.  If the gas had any
ethanol ( as all of it has some, even the no ethanol ) then there is a
flake of rust in it.    I run only the highest grade of ethanol free
gasoline in all of my older engines that were built prior to unleaded
gas.   I think I have told the story before of having to use the high
grade of gas on my fire pumps to get them to meet the test
requirements.  I have lost a lot of small engine carburetors to ethanol
in the gas even  the no ethanol grade.  A little Marvel Mystery Oil
seems to help keep the ethanol from attaching the carburetor when it
dries out.    Unleaded low octane gas has a surfactant in it to make it
burn at a lower temperature for less emissions.  It seems counter
productive, but that's the EPA... The engine needs heat to operate
efficiently and the gas has water added to lower the heat content.   I
was told by a petroleum engineer that the white powder/flakes in the
carburetor left  when the gas evaporates is the surfactant  to make the
water mix... Ethanol just causes more water to be pulled from the air...

I once had an Onan Generator with a 30 gal tank.  I had to run Methanol
in the gas to keep the carb from icing when running in the middle of the
night.  This was during the 2001 Ice Storm.   We ran for 27 days on
Generator.   I bought a diesel generator and sold the Onan.  The buyer
brought the generator back as it only ran one tank of gas through it
and then would not start.   Rust from had built up in the bottom of the
tank and blocked the fuel inlet.   The rust was very finely powdered.
The gas tank was completely dry from the methanol.  I connected a 1/2
inch pipe to my shop vacuum and sucked every bit of rust out of the
tank.  I then put a 1 inch long tubing in the fuel bowl inlet to stick
up in the tank and prevent water and sediment  from plugging up the fuel
line...

Just my $0.02

Cecil in OKla