[AT] Shepard's

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Sat May 7 08:49:53 PDT 2016

One of the things that I enjoyed learning about agriculture in Israel
(aside from the creativity) is about all of the ways that water has been
collected and conserved. Clearly the climate helped the farmers there
learn the necessity of the techniques, but the people figured them out.
The one I find most interesting is the catch basin designs used to
capture and collect rainfall for perennials like Olives, Citrus, etc.
They are constructed to capture as much rain and runoff as possible, but
with a small overflow near the top to the slope side to assure erosion
control.
      Also, Israel is where initially drip irrigation tubing was
commercialized and commmercially developed. Yes the concepts came from
various places, but that is where they came together first.
               Grant Brians - Hollister, California farmer of
vegetables, edible flowers, herbs, nuts and fruit