[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon May 2 15:32:37 PDT 2016

Charlie:
In 1979 we bought a 75 IHC 1600 Loadstar box truck from the OK
publishing company here in OKC.  It had been used delivering papers for
the first 75K miles then had a big heavy braced bumper on the front and
they used it around the shop for pushing the other trucks and as a back
up truck...    It had an AC delco battery in it at the time, I assume it
was the original.   In 1990 we replaced that battery.  In 2006, I
replaced the Sears Diehard we put in it.   At one time we had a deal
with Sears when they had a commercial tire & battery division here...
Now it has one of those Car dealer Sam's club batteries they sold for a
while, it has not been started in nearly a year, but I would bet that it
will still start without jumping.   I attribute the good service to the
regulator in the alternator it keeps the battery at the proper voltage.
The alternator has never been worked on and it has nearly 300K miles on
it...  345 V8 and 4spd with a straight axle..  The biggest problem was
keeping exhaust pipe gaskets on it...   I finally just gave up.  I never
saw an IHC that did not leak at the pipe to manifold junction...
Another bad brand of battery for me has been those Everstart batteries
from Walmart, I had a 94 Suburban that went through 4 of those, they
lasted about 15 months.  When it went out it was without warning, pull
into a parking space and when you came back out, the engine would crank
over 2 times and then quit...  I had to leave my wife sitting in it one
night outside a Mexican restaurant at 10pm while I walked 1/2 mile to a
Walmart to get a battery.  The battery would not roll the electric
windows when it quit..... I finally broke the sequence with an
Interstate Battery and then parked it....

Cecil in OKla