[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Edchainsaw at aol.com Edchainsaw at aol.com
Sun May 1 18:17:49 PDT 2016

In a message dated 4/28/2016 12:03:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
at-request at lists.antique-tractor.com writes:

Subject:  Re: [AT] Battery Charger recommendations

We have  at least 15 chargers (nessessity--- we have 5 locations all a
good distance apart and my sister has run over 2 and I left 2 out and rain came
 we are hard on them)
I am swaring off the Schumacher  chargers  I cant get parts like  knobs
from them--- they told me in an official email they dont sell them-- I was  to
get them from Century Ghargers----  I have a century and Like it a whole
lot better ( I got it at an auction)  they are a TON$$$ more

we are hard on them (our hired help has pulled the wires off 2 in the last
year ) again not the Century but the Schumacher-- again--- got to Century
for  parts...

I have about 6 of the Harbor Freight trickle chargers and all work yet  ,.

I would suggest the Century models ----  not sure but think our John  Deere
chargers are Centruy's as they have held up -- 1 was even nicked by my
sister's car back in 1984....

One other item battery related and old tractor related:     battery life.
   In  December of 1999 dad and I  purchased a MF 2805 that was sitting on
a dealer's lot because the owner  couldn't pay the repair bill  ($12k)
The dealer put new batteries in when the repair work was done in October of
 1999.

2 wks ago one finally died!     I use this tractor  fairly regularly on our
grain vac and for some years back the grain drill and  BushHog (R)  mower
when we had it.    I dont rember  replacing the batteries ever...  the chads
are chipped out for  October  and 9.    Unless the battery fairy replaced
them in  09  they are OLD.

I checked the one with my checker and it had 12v but dropped the second
load hit...  the other still had 12v and was still good..

these are  Interstate Work-aholic   battieries.....     I tried to send
picks to   Interstate but they refused my emails..  LOL   oh well..