[AT] Somewhat off topic: Pull behind lawn vacs

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Tue Mar 22 19:34:57 PDT 2016

Having started this topic I will update. I have not decided what to do
yet but have some thoughts. First off, someone sent a picture of a deck
with the blower attached. I have a John Deere Z445 zero turn mower and
that very thing is available. I decided against it when I bought the
mower for several reasons: it cost over a thousand dollars; it blows the
material into big garbage can type containers which I do not want to
handle besides which they would have to be emptied far too often; the
price is too close to what a pull behind costs; the mower mounted blower
is only good for that machine, should something happen or should I
change  machines I lose my money. The pull behind has a downside also,
mainly it restricts your maneuverability  with the zero turn and makes
the unit wider with the chute. Also it is a job hooking and unhooking
the unit; a job which as I get older I hate. A couple of days ago I came
up with a bright idea (or maybe not). I have a 42 year old 109 Cub Cadet
that still runs. I have only used it to spray with the last couple of
years as a piece of the deck rusted through and is hitting the blades. I
could probably patch the deck in a day or so. Because the whole lawn
does not need picking up (I have no need to pick up leaves) and only a
little over a third needs clearing up I was thinking I could put the
vacuum on the cadet and after cutting with the zero turn, which usually
the grass is thick and heavy, I would let it dry a day and run over it
with the cadet and clean it up. Even when I try the lawn sweeper I must
let it dry at least a day or the brush will not turn in the heavy,
thick, wet grass. I realize it is sort of a second trip but would still
be faster than trying to pull and maneuver the vac over the whole lawn.
Also, the cadet would become my dedicated vacuum tractor. One thing I
don't like it appears almost all vacs have a soft top and sides type of
design which I am pretty such would need replacing in 10 years or less.
It appears that the ones with a hard top (according to reviews) are hard
to empty and a couple with solid back doors tend to pop open and scatter
grass all over. A couple of reviews say they cured the problem by adding
bungee cords (sounds bad for a new machine). I have looked at many
brands online and so far the DR. brand looks best to me, unless there is
something I'm not seeing. Also the problem of what size as the larger
sizes are a lot more dollars. I have not decided for sure on brand as
they all have there points. Enough for tonight.
      Greg Hass