[AT] Somewhat off topic: Pull behind lawn vacs

Don don.bowen at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 19 14:32:43 PDT 2016

On 3/19/2016 3:35 PM, Greg Hass wrote:
> For almost ten years I have wanted a pull behind lawn vac.

I have the Cyclone, found on Craig's List in near new condition for
under a third of new cost.

I have a zero turn mower and the discharge for the vacuum came off the
ubiquitous Sears, Husky, Polun, Toro, etc riding lawn mowers. I hade to
modify the discharge chute mostly by removing a little material and
drilling new holes.  Took longer to figure out the best way than to do.
The hose from the discharge to the vacuum is almost too short but it can
be forced to fit.  I started to build a new hitch but it turned out
easier to take an angle grinder to the supplied hitch.  The Cyclone is
sturdy, I fixed a bent part of the frame by pushing it into place with a
jack and some 2X4s with no kinking.  I fixed a missing strut with some
Hoe Depot aluminum stock.

The cyclone mounts to the back with a wide hitch and becomes a solid
part of the mower, no hitch single point pivot.  The vacuum swings wide
on casters which means you have to be careful maneuvering around.  In
fact mine had a bent upright where the owner smacked a fence post that I
fixed with the above mentioned 2x4s.   Works great for picking up the
wet heavy grass we had last year and even better in picking up fallen
leaves.  Leaves are easy to unload but wet grass is a different story.

Wet grass would pack into the box making a near solid mass.  The box
tilts to dump but the wet grass refused to move.  I have tried several
things, pitch fork, rake, etc and it none make it easy. This year I am
thinking of a pull out panel or a small blue tarp rigged like we emptied
silage.

My biggest problem is that sometimes it takes three loads to mow my
yard.  Last year's rains had me mowing about every week.  The engine is
a B&S IC, starts first pull every on the first start of the day.  Second
load it sometimes starts on the first pull but often requires a second
pull.  Will not start after shutting down to unload the third load.
That does give me an excuse to say "screw it, deal with it tomorrow.

This one has the fabric box.  Openings are held closed with Velcro and
straps with snap buckles.  Works well except the grass gets stuck in the
Velcro hooks.  I clean it out with a brass brush.  The engine and vacuum
come apart from the trailer part and the unit fords down for storage.  I
have enough room under a roof that I just leave it up.

Looks like I need to drag it out and change oil as it looks to be an
early spring.

--
Don Bowen       --AD0NB--