[AT] all about running flat belt equipment

rlgoss at twc.com rlgoss at twc.com
Tue Mar 15 20:49:16 PDT 2016

Flat belts naturally run toward the largest diameter and longest distance between pulleys.  The first time my dad told me that, my reacton was, "Huh!?"  But what he said is true.  If you want to keep a flat belt on a pair of pulleys (always a problem for lining up mills and similar items) then at least one of the pulleys needs to be crowned in the center.  Cast pulleys are usually shaped that way from the get-go.  What you DON'T want is a pair of pulleys that are perfect cylinders.  We had a little bit of that problem with the John Deere tractor and the IH mill.  To cure the problem, Dad wrapped a yard or so of friction tape around the center of one of the pulleys.  It doesn't take much, but then alignment of the pulleys becomes much simpler and the belt seeks to run on the largest diameter/longest distance between the shafts.

Larry