[AT] all about running flat belt equipment

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Mar 15 11:04:07 PDT 2016

Ralph Goff wrote:
> On 3/14/2016 11:18 PM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
>> Thanks for the link Steve....   I have a couple of old case tractors
>> that need new pulleys and they don't seem all that expensive....
>>
>> Cecil in OKla
>>
>> http://www.paperpulleys.com/pages/home.html
> Interesting to see somebody is still making those type pulleys. I didn't
> know they were actually paper.
> They call them "fibre" pulleys and the pulleys on the Cockshutt tractors
> feel pretty solid. I had a spare
> pulley stored for years but rats must have chewed into the fibre and
> kind of ruined it.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

Basically the paper ones are stacks of cardboard held together with
waterproof glue. Then pressed to force the glue through the pores in the
paper. They set under pressure and heat till the clue dries. Toss them
on a lathe to true up the surface and you're done.

Paper and leather were used because they were easy to find and easy to
check for problems. Wood gets used on slower speeds but it has to be
VERY straight grained and clear of any issues.

--
Steve W.