[AT] all about running flat belt equipment

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 14 20:06:15 PDT 2016

On 3/14/2016 8:50 PM, Al Jones wrote:
> I have a long endless 6" wide belt (actually about 5 3/4") that I run
> my #6 hammer mill with.  Now my little IH 4E mill has a narrower
> pulley--it'll accommodate a 4--4 1/2" belt.  My Super A has a 6" wide
> pulley, my Cub has a 4" wide pulley. Can I run a 6" wide belt on it
> and just let the extra width hang out past the edge of the pulley, or
> does my belt need to match the pulley width?  I have picked up a
> fairly nice 4" wide belt, but it's only about 12' long.
>
> thanks,
> Al

Al I've never tried running a hammer mill belt wider than the pulley. I
have enough trouble keeping the belt on the pulley even when it is narrower
  than the pulley. Alignment is critical for good performance I find.
The tractors have big wide fibre pulley in good condition. My old IH
hammer mill
  has the original fibre pulley that has decades of weathering and is
starting wear down a bit uneven. If I try to feed the grain too fast it
will cause belt
slippage and running off the mill pulley. I set up a couple of straw
bales on each side of the belt to help keep it in alignment and that
helps some but
I can't begin to use the full power of the tractor due to belt slippage.
You have likely seen the videos.

Ralph in Sask.