[AT] O.T. - portable weed burner?

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Fri Mar 11 06:36:49 PST 2016

On 3/11/2016 12:53 AM, Herb Metz wrote:
> We have a large vegetable garden and solve the weed problem either by cultivation or by laying down reclaimed silt fence. Our weed problem around the edges takes a long time even with a 5 HP weed eater on 14” hard rubber tires.
> Google illustrated some organic farmers have built large eight row burners operating in 2’ tall corner; burns portion of young leaves but no permanent damage to the corn stalk. Could not find a one row version of such device; does anyone know of something on the market?
> Herb(GA)

As an organic farmer, I know what you are talking about - we use them
for Onions and Leeks as well as pre-emergence for Parsnips and Carrots
sometimes. In a garden situation, a simple tank and hand wand could be
mounted on a wagon or tractor to handle an area. The key is to have even
application of the flame. Flame weeders are a useful tool for weeds in
grass like crops and waxy coated leaf crops.
            Grant Brians
            Hollister,California farmer of vegetables, herbs and nuts
plus www.gourmetseed.com for seed sales