[AT] More on torches

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Mar 10 18:25:51 PST 2016

Greg:
I have 2 plasma cutter, both Thermal Dynamics brand.  In my estimation,
the best made.  I have done both things with them you have noted.  It is
difficult to keep from cutting the shaft when trying to cut the bearing
race.  The problem with that oddball job is that when the torch is
running without anything to cut, it wears greatly on the tip.  Those
tips are from $8 to 12 each, and the electrode as expensive too.  It
runs into money quickly.   I do like it for cutting rusty steel stock.
I have a lot of old oil tank steel  that I use to cover truck and
trailer beds.   With a straightedge, I can cut the steel straight enough
to butt weld.  I cannot do that with a torch...
Cecil in OKla