[AT] More on torches

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Mar 10 12:49:24 PST 2016

A while ago we were talking torches plus LP vs. acetylene. I was having
coffee today at the local coffee shop and one of those there owns a
welding shop. The subject of LP vs acetylene came up. He said that the
ratio of acetylene to oxygen when cutting is about 1 to 1. When using LP
he said the ratio is roughly 7 parts oxygen to one part LP so he said
its way to costly to cut with LP. One exception he noted was his flame
table. He  might put a sheet of one inch plate steel on it and it will
follow a pattern and cut exact sprockets for use by our local sugar beet
company. Right now he said 90% of his work is for them. Anyway, he said
LP works better on the flame table because as it cuts the very outside
edge of the sprockets are hardened. When I asked him why he said he
doesn't really know, but that is the way it is. He said he has about two
dozen tanks around the place and on his trucks. Also he said that on the
job LP takes a lot longer to heat before cutting where as with acetylene
you can start cutting in a few seconds.
        Greg Hass