[AT] Plow question

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Jun 16 13:10:41 PDT 2016

Draft control depends on the tractor. My JD 4255 and IH 856 have lower
arm sensing; my IH 574 has top link sensing.  I have run semi-mount
plows for 50 years and we have never used the draft sensing.  First of
all, it would only control the front of the plow; second, and this may
vary in other areas, on our land the draft sensing works opposite what
we need. Our land goes from sand to clay.  If set to draft sensing; and
we have tried it, the plow will go deeper in sand and raise when it
pulls hard in clay; just the opposite of what we want as we need it to
stay at a constant depth, not go 12 or more inches in sand and then
raise to 5 or 6 inches in the clay. We always use standard 3 pt. mode
and adjust as needed. If you have the side depth wheel holding the depth
is not too much of a problem. At the present time I am using a 3-18
fully mounted roll-over plow with the side depth wheel. It is heavy
enough that it stays close to the correct depth without touching the
lever. As for raising and lowering, as long as the 3 pt. lever and your
remote lever are close no problem; when you get to the end just raise
the three pt. and a couple of seconds later raise the rear. When you
lower, just lower the front and then the rear.
      Greg Hass