[AT] Brake controllers revisited

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Jun 3 09:11:34 PDT 2016

There are two general types, time delay and proportional. Make sure you get proportional!  Time delay will gradually apply more brakes the longer you hold the pedal down, while proportional senses how hard you are pushing the pedal and applies an equivalent amount of brakes to the trailer. If you every need an emergency stop, or you will be glad for it.

I have a prodigy in my truck and it works well. 8 years ago it was considered the best, but I don't know if it still is.  I have one issue with it: when the truck sits for a few weeks it drains the battery. I keep meaning to install a power switch, for now I unplug it.

Keep an eye on the display when you use it. There was some roadkill last time I towed, 100 feet later I noticed the controllers saying NC. I stopped right there and fixed the emergency disconnect on the trailer. If I haven't had that notice I wouldn't have known there was an issue.