[AT] Brake controllers revisited

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Thu Jun 2 22:24:40 PDT 2016

A year or two ago there was an informative thread about electronic brake
controllers.  Not sure how to search for it.

Am moving from California to Oregon soon, hauling a lot of stuff, and
need to fit my F-250 with a controller for my twin-axle trailer having
existing electric brakes on one of its two axles. My last experience
with a controller was thirty years ago with the mechanical kind that
plumbed into the brake lines.  So I'm kind of clueless about today's
electronic controllers.

Any recommendations for brands and models?

Also would it be advisable to add electric brakes to the axle without?
So I'd have two axles with brakes?  Cost seems to be around $100 for two
new backing plate kits, so I'm thinking that might be cheap insurance.
There are some steep grades between Southern CA and Northern OR.

Thanks.

Richard