[AT] "discontinued" parts - Re: AT Digest, Vol 149, Issue 17

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jul 28 12:26:45 PDT 2016

The high price of scrap metal took a bunch of the old IHC trucks to the
scrap smelters.   When scrap was at its highest , I was trying to buy a
Gehl swather to use the header off of.  It was at a former Gehl Owatonna
Dealer.   I had bought the cab glass out of it a month earlier.  The guy
would not even think of selling the entire swather.  It had a broken
crank on the engine.   I offered $1000 and he told me it was worth $2500
in parts.   He had a weird accident, a car ran over him when he went to
the mailbox.  About 3 months later I talked to his widow about the
swather.  She told me that about a month before he died a scrapper came
by and bought a semi load of scrap and then offered him $500 for that
swather and he sold it.......    I owed the guy $50 for some parts off
of some other swathers, so I had my wife take his widow the payment.  I
just chalked it up to Karma.....

I am in the same boat with my Owatonna swather.  I need a complete
header.  The one I have is rusted out in the main support beam. It will
not cut level and is too far gone to repair.   The former owner covered
it up with sheet metal and then sold it to me as being field ready.  The
guy was a friend of mine.  I say was.

Cecil in OKla