[AT] "discontinued" parts - Re: AT Digest, Vol 149, Issue 17

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jul 27 21:36:42 PDT 2016

On 7/27/2016 7:49 PM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
> That was the lightest front axle rating of the 1600 Loadstar trucks.
> Thus the reason one cannot find any of the drums available.  It is a
> 4700lb axle.  I suppose that would be the rating of a 7.50x20 tire back
> then.  I just looked up a 7.50x20 bias ply tire from Coker tire, the
> classic tire supplier, and their rating for that tire was 3530lbs.
> Nebraska Tire has some 7.00R 20 hwy truck tires, with a load rating of
> 3750lbs per tire.  That axle weight rating is less than the 3/4 ton
> pickups of the late 60 and early 70's...
>
> Cecil in OKla
That might explain why the front springs were flat when we got the truck
in 84. I went right ahead and loaded up
that 15 foot box with grain and regularly carried 340 bushels to town.
Grossing close to 30,000 pounds many times.
The front tires are 8.25x20. I had the front springs re-arched and an
extra leaf added in 89 so it sits up right high now.
We don't haul to town anymore and I rarely load it up full even at
harvest time.

Ralph in Sask.