[AT] Baling hay pictures

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu Jul 21 17:28:36 PDT 2016

On 7/21/2016 3:54 PM, toma at risingnet.net wrote:
> I got my hay all baled against all odds. 3 years ago the crankshaft broke that works the plunger. I keep it greased and it continues to work. It worked so well this year I am going to take better care of it.
> --
> Sent from myMail app for Android

I liked the pictures. I have only once baled with one of the Cat D4's, a
very long time ago. The reason I did not do so more times was the speed
of the tractor - not fast enough for travel between fields and areas.
But unlike your land, this was on level fields. I noted in a past
comment that Dean had said his father would not have liked the crawler
in the Alfalfa fields. The interesting thing is that a Cat applies so
little compaction that the damage level is much less than a wheel
tractor. Your tractor has about 18 square feet of contact area from the
tracks and that yields 5psi on the soil or hay. If it had the wide
tracks then there is only 3psi of pressure. Compare this with a typical
wheel tractor weighing 7000#, that unit applies between 30psi and 60psi
usually....

                  Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of
vegetables, herbs, edible flowers and orchard