[AT] Turning Balers and Haybines

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Mon Jul 18 16:58:51 PDT 2016

On the equipment I used to be around on the grandparents farm I remember
that, this was on JD 14T balers, the pivot point where the tractor drawbar
coupled to the equipment tongue was supposed to be set, as close as possible
to being centered between the u-joint on the tractor end and the first
u-joint on the implement tongue.  The idea behind that was to equalize the
angles that both joints made when turning.

There is something that I don't begin to understand which happens when
joints on opposite ends of a driveshaft aren't angled equally.  The forces
at work generate an imbalance which cause the whole shaft to shake, or maybe
oscillate from end to end.  It has something to do with the yokes, or maybe
it's the cross, having to accelerate/decelerate some miniscule amount as the
joint flexes.

And no, I did not make that up.

Al Nadeau