[AT] Turning Balers and Haybines

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Jul 18 11:37:55 PDT 2016

As you folks may remember, I bought a NH 467 haybine at the start of the season last year and a hay baler at the start of this season.   I was always taught you can turn haybines as hard right as you need.  My NH 467 manual even confirms this.   I also was taught balers with the two piece drive shafts can be turned “to follow a windrow to 2:30 to the right and 11:00 to the left”.   I have no idea where these old guys that taught me came up with this, but that was what I was taught.

However, the drive lines in both pieces of equipment makes a heck of a racket when I do this.   So like the proverbial patient who says “it hurts when I do this”, I’ve taken the doctors advise and just stopped turning hard to the right and do a lot of picking-up the head and/or wide-looping the turns.  I only have 5 acres so the extra time spent on turns is not a huge issue but still a pain in the butt.   The baler in particular seems very sensitive to any turning under power.

Has anyone experienced this?  Is the racket normal for New Holland gear?  Am I all washed up and dreaming and I shouldn’t be turning at all?   On the haybine in particular I am pretty sure I should be able to hit the right brake and attack a square corner.

PS:   It sounds like possibly the driveshaft supports are making the noise and not the driveshaft.
PSS:  The International gear I used to own and run never had this problem.