[AT] Older Tractor Question

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Jan 28 20:10:16 PST 2016

This concerns an IH 1066, actually 3 that I know of. For those not
familiar, they are about 45 years old and 125 factory hp. All three have
the same problem; in cold weather after starting you have no steering
for from 5 minutes to an hour after starting. One my brother owns, it
was bought new by my dad, the other two a cousin has, both bought used.
All have had filters changed and new oil. One of my cousins was even
taken to the dealer but no help. One thing they all have in common is
that all three worked fine until a ways past 5000 hours. When I was
still home we hauled manure with our 1066. It was started in all kinds
of weather and the steering always worked right away. Neither my brother
nor I  have cattle any more but if he needs it for something it requires
a half hour or so warm up. One of my cousins was used on a feed wagon
and they tried a magnetic heater on the side of the transmission, but in
zero weather even that wouldn't work. Does anyone know what the problem
could be or know an old IH mechanic who might have an idea. Remember the
catch phrase is that they all worked fine until over 5000 hours. Thanks
for any help.
         Greg Hass