[AT] OT Engine Swap on air compressor

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Jan 22 14:11:42 PST 2016

Dennis Johnson wrote:
> Steve,
>
> This is a neat part. Understand it handles the bell housing bolt
> issue. I also assume that it moves the engine forward 1 plate
> thickness from the rear bell housing.
>
> What does this do to bolting up the crankshaft?? Does this require
> another spacer/adapter to address the crank?? Not sure what there is
> on the compressor, but guessing no clutch because Cecil was having
> trouble with the compressor load for starting. Do the 2 cranks have
> the same bolt pattern on both cranks?? Do both engines have the crank
> bolt faces the same distance from the bell housing surface??
>
> Just curious, because I may have some projects where I could use
> something like this in the future.
>
> Thanks. Dennis

It depends on what you are doing. With a manual clutch you usually use
the flywheel/pressure plate from the "new" engine and the clutch disc
from the original so the splines match. Unless you're lucky and the
splines are the same. For the pilot bushing it's easy to get a
shouldered one cut that will go into the crank bore and extend out
enough to catch the input shaft. For an auto it's easier, just make
spacer shims out of the same material as the plate.

I've used about 15 plates over the years. Some real weird combinations
as well!

--
Steve W.