[AT] Solar battery charger setup

Ivan ivancou at windstream.net
Mon Jan 18 16:28:17 PST 2016

Bill , I'll take a stab at it as best as I can remember .  1.5 watt =
.125 amp   if you take 1.5 divided by 12.5 volts nominal  wattage
(watts  divided by volts )   and that is max rating .   Meaning that the
sun has to be shining straight down at the panel  which it wont most of
the time . Solar panels have to be angled to match the suns angle for
max charge if is shining directly on it and constantly change d to match
the path of the sun across the sky . To get that max charge it has to be
continiuosly angled to match the suns path across the sky ,otherwise its
getting less than max output .  Actually the panel will produce a higher
voltage than that because for it to charge a battery the charging
voltage has to be up around 14.5 . Truth is your 12 volt battery should
actuall read about 13.2 or so to be fully charge .
Another factor is resistance in the wire which can really cut output
especially if the wire size is too small or extended to reach outside if
the tractor is in the shed .
  Where you are located affectsthe output too .  DOwn close to the
equator the angle is less pronounced ,but the system still haas to be
able to follow the sun for max output .
  Very simple to demonstrate this to make it easier to understand . Hook
the charger up to any 12 volt battery with a multimeter ( digital ) to
be sensitive enough . Now point the panel toward the sun and move it
left and right and watch the meter voltage . It will jump all over and
with a slightly weak battery it will show up even better .
  Myself I have two solar systems running one for lighting in the house
(and thats led nightlights only ) the other is on the roof of my camper
. A 80 watt system to charge the house battery , which it doesnt do very
well .
For a weak battery with even a small slow internal loss a panel that
small will never over charge it . If you want I can send a link for a
web site that explains it much better , the guy runs his whole house on
solar and seems to have a very good handle on it .   Ivan