[AT] Splicing into a 12V circuit

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Thu Jan 14 05:47:40 PST 2016

Look for a relay rated for the current draw of the lights. Then my usual
"worst case design" practice is to double the draw the lights require
just to make sure they aren't current starved. Then if you want to add
more lights later you'll have enough excess capacity. One other tip is to
use a socket for the relay. That way the relay can be replaced easily if
it fails for some reason.

Phil in TX

--- meulenms at gmx.com wrote:

From: Mike M <meulenms at gmx.com>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] Splicing into a 12V circuit
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:15:55 -0500

Hi Steve, thanks to you and everyone else for the input, I don't need
any fires! Still undecided between soldering and crimping. Once I tear
into the lighting module, I'll know more about what options I have for
splicing.  At the risk of sounding stupid, however, how would I know
what relay to get, or it there only one type for 12V wiring. That last
statement alone should give away my skill level with automotive style
wiring.

Thanks,
Mike

On 1/13/2016 6:10 PM, charlie hill wrote:
> Steve, I like your solution.  A lot of vehicles have burned because
> someone hooked up additional lights and overloaded the wiring.
> Hook the Aux. lights up direct to the battery with their own fuse
> and use a relay hooked to the high beam switch to actuate them.
>
> Charlie

---