[AT] Continuing "What to do"

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Jan 12 08:04:59 PST 2016

In Dennis'  defense, this Oklahoma mud is really something else.    It
is about as sticky as super glue and as slick as greased owl S**T !   (
My Dad's favorite expression ).  You can get stuck in a truck with mud
grip tires in as little as 2 inches of this stuff.    It is a very
sticky and slick clay.  To drive in our mud, you have to have aggressive
tire tread and enough power to spin the mud out to take another bite
when the tire comes around again.   A friend has a pickup with a high
speed rear end but with only a 350 engine, and it cannot spin the mud
out of the tires.

On a tractor, the mud will build up in front of the front tires and then
stick you.  If you put any load in the bucket, the tires will sink.  You
have to keep moving fast enough over the ground to stay on top of the
mud.  When it dries, you need a pick and hammer to get it loose.  When
you wash the last of it you need a detergent to loosen the last film
that is left.
If I park a truck on a dry place and it sits without moving for a year,
it is down to the axle.  If I park it on boards to hold it up,  it lasts
another year.  We have to design foundations with piers down as much as
6 to 8 ft to hit a shale layer.   My house was built in 1985 when I was
not really familiar with this soil, and has a conventional 12 x 18
footing with no piers.  It was also poured monolithic.  It has sunk
nearly 4 inches in the 30 years since it was built.  That is an entire
structure 34 x 66ft and functions as a solid slab!

Just FYI about the mud in most of OKla.

Cecil in oKla