[AT] Bearing Application needed

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Jan 6 06:28:41 PST 2016

That’s such a true statement. You find out pretty quickly those guys behind the counter that aren’t able to help you unless it’s the most basic of tasks.

The bearing story hits home. A few weeks ago I asked this list about the electronic ignition (I needed the ignition box) for a continental Y112. I was opting to go with the suggestion of a new Pertronix distributor just to get the machine running again.

After a little searching I found that JD used that same engine in one of their older skid loaders. Called the dealer and no dice…part discontinued. (I do like this parts guy BTW). Back to the drawing board. Found a NOS on eBay. 1/4 cost of new distributor. Once the unit arrived I looked a little closer at the markings. Sure enough Prestolite was stamped on it. Seems the ignition module is the same one used in IH trucks and other things. If I’d have found this earlier I could have stopped at my local parts store and got one off the shelf.

Some of the castings are manufacturer specific but so many belts, bearings, and other things are off-the-shelf parts. You’d think with all this technology we have now that we could cross reference some silly numbers.

Ok…rant off.  :-)

Brad