[AT] It kind of blows my mind

ATIS yostsw at atis.net
Sun Jan 3 07:29:15 PST 2016

First, I feel your pain and long for the days of consistency and what I perceived as some attempt at rational pricing .  My wife especially hates how repairing something often cost as much or more than a replacement.  Denise is not one to rant, but this is one area you can probably get her to rant.

On the serious side:  Welcome to the world of data driven pricing. I work for a national retailer, and there is an army of people working the data mines making sure every last penny can be obtained from a product.  My departments software to accommodate their "on-demand" and location specific pricing is quite complex.  In the end the perceived anomalies are sometimes driven by suppliers, sometimes by logistics, but mostly by demand and consumer behavior as perceived by the retailer.

By the way, the wheels are probably pure demand.  The difference in the numbers of four hole wheels in service vs  five hole wheels is actually probably significant and the smart pricing analysts at your retailer are taking advantage of that.

By the way, much of this is trickling down from the suppliers. The suppliers also have their pricing analysts and the buyers at my company are not immune to the same vagrancies of pricing that affect you.

More than you wanted to know, and probably of little consolation to folks like you and me.

Spencer Yost