[AT] Torch kit

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 14 13:31:22 PST 2016

John,  I agree with you about propane torches.  There is certainly not a
thing
wrong with them and they serve their purchase but I've been to a lot of
industrial equipment auctions and propane torches sell very cheap if at all.
Mostly they are used by folks cutting up scrap metal as you implied.

I wrote another comment about the torch popping and was careful not to say
that it is wrong to make one pop because I know guys that will tell you that
it is not incorrect to make one pop and take great pride in lighting it such
that
it pops but is immediately ready to use with little or no adjusting.  If you
read the
instruction though, it tells you not to do that.  I never knew of it causing
mechanical problem until I bought this torch I have on a whim because it
seemed
like a good deal.  If I use it very carefully I can cut with it but if I let
any of the guys
that work for me occasionally use it, they will blow it out in a matter of
minutes and
render it useless.  Also, if you have occasion to cut rusty sheet metal your
torch is
likely to blow out and pop when you hit the rusty spots.  Using a torch on a
construction
site is a bit of a different animal than using it in a shop where you can
more easily control
conditions.   I don't think I've used that funky torch of mine in 15 years
or so.  It's around
here in the case somewhere.

Charlie