[AT] Torch kit

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Feb 14 05:54:31 PST 2016

You can weld just fine with propane, my grandpa used to do it, and run down people who wasted the money on acetylene.  As I recall the flame temperature on propane is 2600 degrees and steel melts at 2300 (better look both of those up as I'm probably wrong),  so the heat is there, but barely. You need a different size tip (bigger), and different pressures. Propane is a different flame so the technique is different as well.

If you don't weld often gas isn't too expensive, and if you want a portable rig for field work gas is great. If you won't practice often gas being slower makes for better welds.

As for the original question, I paid more for the 7 years I leased my tanks than new tanks cost. At the time the big welding store didn't sell tanks (and wouldn't touch them). Now I live where the local store doesn't know why you would lease tanks, they sell them.  I haven't bought any though, marriage change a lot...