[AT] Tractor hauling, central Ohio

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Feb 7 05:21:47 PST 2016

Dean:
Funny you mention backing up.
I was on my 4 wheeler trying to get an old sheep headed to the pen last
year and when she turned, I threw it into reverse and hit the throttle.
BAM!  Wife's mini van was about 30 ft behind.  I did not remember it
being there even though i had just passed it. There is a massive dent in
the tailgate.  I can't find a tailgate for less than $700 at salvage.
About 6 months later that old ewe died of old age....
I was moving hay a few weeks later, after my wife had said her piece
about her mini van, and backing my Belarus tractor up to get out of the
way of the trailer, when I hit the loader forks on the New Holland
loader.  That time it was a $50 tire boot and patching the tube.
About 3 weeks later, I was trying to keep a 2 day old calf from getting
away from the herd, and started backing my Ford pickup that I had just
overhauled and spent a fortune on.  (the drug forfeiture) When I hit my
head on the back glass when it hit the end of the header of an old junk
JD swather parked in the pasture.  I know that time I had looked in the
rear view.  I now have a big dent in the tailgate on my pickup.

I really look now before backing sometimes 4 and 5 times.  My neck just
will not turn like it used to, so I rely on mirrors a lot. The silver
lining to the pickup tailgate....   Ford F150 tailgates are being stolen
like there is a clearance sale on them..   Mine is not too desirable
with that bid dent in it!!!!   Just FYI to all.  If you need to protect
your tailgate, you can put a worm drive hose clamp over the end that has
the cutout for removing the tailgate and it takes a screwdriver to
remove the tailgate.  If it takes longer than 30 seconds the thieves
will leave it....

Cecil in OKla