[AT] OT - Refurbished computers

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 12:03:27 PST 2016

We just picked up a few refurbished units here for our network as well. Got
a Dell Xeon machine with a high end video card for our circuit board CAD
machine (factory refurb for less than what the video card would sell for),
got a low end HP we put a SSD in to replace a 12 year old test machine that
died and just ordered a higher end refurb (Dell I believe) to upgrade our
10 year old Quickbooks machine that's gotten real slow. Refurb through
Microsoft certified resellers or factory refurbs are recommended.

We haven't gone after any laptops but I will keep the Lenovo name in mind;
we've been having decent luck with our Toshiba units until Windows 10 came
along and didn't recognize the wireless hardware.

Intel (just south of here) built a multibillion dollar fab a few years back
(I think it was about $5B). Obama came through to talk about all the jobs
they were going to have here in America for it. Then they (Intel) never
opened the facility because people stopped buying desktop hardware (CPU's
were the mainstay planned for that superfab) and bought a lot of
smartphones that do some or most of what the desktops did. Times change and
putting a solid state drive in an old box can breathe new life into older
hardware. They'll eventually wear out, but for the most part we're all
pretty good at keeping some older machines running when others have
abandoned them (tractors AND computers).

Ken in AZ