[AT] Rock Falls, IL

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 17:15:23 PST 2016

Certainly the biggest water wheel I have ever seen.

   I have been to 4 water powered grist mills that I know of:
Eno park, Durham, NC--- open to public
Mabry's mill in VA-- open to public
Somehere in Sanford NC there was/is a mill at a site that used to host
an antique farm show
I think north of Cherokee, NC, maybe in the edge of TN I went to
another, it may have been in Va--it was a few years back.

There was one or two mills that were abandoned less than 5 miles from
here that got destroyed in hurricane Fran back in 1996.
Another was about 3 miles down the road. It had been moved about a mile
from the river where it's last days it was powered by an engine--still
had the lineshaft upstairs when it was burnt down. There used to be way
more corn meal made in NC than actually went in a frying pan.

John Hall