[AT] Rock Falls, IL

Thomas O Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 20 16:26:11 PST 2016

We use to fatten calves with  corn ground on the cob.  Minerals were
added to the mix. We used Shovel the ears out of the barn into a
elevator into a 5 ton  truck, Haul it to the mill in town and haul back
bagged feed.

I learned a lesson.  I took a cattle trailer to pick up the feed. I was
about 16 at the time. They loaded the feed in the trailer and I got on
the road going home.  At about 40 the trailer started to sway.  I could
not control the truck.  Finally got it stopped in the ditch.  They had
loaded all the corn behind the tandem axles and the feed was lifting the
rear wheels off the ground.  I had to shift the load to the front to
make it home.

Never again.  I always loaded the trailer my self or at least inspected
the work before heading out on the road.