[AT] Heating livestock water in the frozen south with a M-67 immersion heater

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Dec 18 09:32:23 PST 2016

4 degrees this morning and -14 wind chill.   A week ago I ran
electricity to the2  cattle water tanks and got everything installed for
2ea 1500 watt heaters.   The "freezeproof" water faucet froze up 3 days
ago and I spent the next day insulating and installing a heat tape on it.

Now the horses are the only stock I have that I have to worry about
frozen water.  Their pond in the pasture is too low to even chop ice and
get anything drinkable.    I ordered a M-67 military immersion heater a
few minutes ago.  I have had them around before, but did not have a lot
of luck with them.  I think the fuel tank valve would plug.   Probably
needed to clean the tank out since they were 40 years old.    Have any
of you guys used these and have any tips for getting them to work
reliably.    I would set it to run in the evening through the night and
in a 4ft diameter x 2 ft tall tank, it shouldn't get too hot if I can
throttle it down.

Any help would be appreciated

Cecil in OKla