[AT] Off Topic 2001 Ford F250 6.8L engine. Oil pressure gage port size.

Thomas O Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 14 18:48:54 PST 2016

Oil pressure followup.

Oil pressure specifications. Engine at temperature 200F, 2000 rpm
pressure between 40 and 75 psi.  Mine is at 53 psi.   Not bad for
240,000 miles.

I found a oil pressure test set at harbor freight.  $27.  It had a
gauge, 5 1/2 ft hose and a bunch or adapters.  It could use some type of
swivel. I had to crawl under the truck and out from under it at least
five times to relieve the torque on the hose to be able to thread in the
gate. A swivel would have been much easier but it worked.  The gauge
looped over the driver side mirror makeing it easy to perform the test.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=oil+pressure+tester

The pressure sender thread is 1/4 18 MPT  instead of NPT.  No O ring on
the gas engine just some thread sealer.   It is a straight thread. The
tester had a tapered thread and engaged two threads sealed fine for the
test.

Pressure was 30 psi at 1000 rpm idle.  28 psi in gear at idle 700 rpm
and 70 psi max wot.  I installed a new pressure switch and all looks
fine.  Time to go hunting this weekend.  Yea.

Thanks for the help.  I tried to put a tester together from parts from
Northern Tool but they did not have the proper gauge in stock so the
Harbor Freight it was. About the same price anyway.

ANTIQUE Tractor Reference.

I am moving a house on my 47 acres in Waller Texas.  When things dry out
I will be using the Ford and trailer to move my Farmall H and blade to
level the pad for the house.