[AT] Off Topic 2001 Ford F250 6.8L engine. Oil pressure gage port size.

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed Dec 14 09:17:30 PST 2016

tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I am having problems with the oil pressure switch on my F250.
> Yesterday the gauge "Foo Gage" stayed at zero when the engine was
> started cold.  I shut it off, checked the oil, started the engine
> which sounded good and the gauge finally came up. I changed the oil
> and Filter Sunday.  Motorcraft oil and Filter So it could be a number
> of issues.
>
> 1. Bad oil pressure switch.2. Bad check valve in the filter.3. Worn
> bearings or oil pump problem. I am getting a new filter and would
> like to install a mechanical gauge.  Does any one have experience
> with this engine or the 5.4 Liter engine of the same vintage. I am
> going for parts at Noon and would like to know the port size.  My
> best guess is 3/8 NPT. PS: Drove it home and then back to work with
> no indications of low oil pressure and the gauge worked fine.  But
> others have reported oil pump problems on this engine.   I only have
> 240,000 miles on this thing and do not want to mess it up.

Direct from Ford.

Oil Pressure Indicator Sender Unit

The oil pressure indicator sender unit consists of a diaphragm and
contact points. The contact points are closed with oil pressure causing
the gauge to indicate NORMAL oil pressure. With no oil pressure, the
contacts open and the gauge indicates low oil pressure.

Thread is 1/4"-18 aka 1/4" NPT

DON'T use a gauge with the plastic line, the line will melt.

--
Steve W.