[AT] Off Topic 2001 Ford F250 6.8L engine. Oil pressure gage port size.

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Wed Dec 14 08:17:27 PST 2016

As Dennis has already stated, any OP sending unit I have seen has been 1/8"
National Pipe Thread (NPT).  I can be confusing as pipe threads bear
virtually no relationship to the diameter of the actual threaded
fitting/sender/widget.  1/8" NPT is very close to 3/8"Ø.

OP senders/switches can fail in some very imaginative ways.  We had one go
bad on a early-70s Ford Pinto 2.0L engine.  This was a switch, only a light
for an indicator.  Very cold conditions and it came on while driving down
the highway.  Light would go out when the engine returned to idle.  Oil
level was where it was supposed to be.  Installed a new switch, problem went
away.

Had a OP sending unit, gauge in an '89 GMC, 5.0L.  Gauge in that one dropped
to almost zero.  Installed a new sending unit along with a mechanical gauge,
PITA to get at.  Problem went away.

Al Nadeau